The Space Needle is My Neighbor

EIGHT YEARS AND COUNTING What Have We Learned So Far?
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never go back to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
IMPORTANT NOTE: Click on the captions with dots. They are live links to additional content.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Found Magazine

"Strange, Hilarious and Heartbreaking"

I got an email tonight notifying me that Davy Rothbart, the creator and publisher of Found Magazine is going to be here next month to teach a writing class to benefit 826 Seattle.
How could I not have written about Found before? It's based on a brilliant concept; people send in all kinds of abandoned notes, photos, tickets, lists; your typical garden-variety detritus, and Davy publishes all of it on his website and in his magazine. The people who send the stuff usually have some theory about the meaning of, or the back story behind these scraps. The true nature of each discovery is up in the air and open to speculation. When I first heard about Found several years ago, I set out to make myself hyper-aware of any and all discarded things that might be "Found-worthy". To date I've come up with zip. Seattle doesn't believe in the scribbled note left under the windshield wiper, or the letter from Mom left as a bookmark in a library book. Just as Seattle spits in the face of the common belief that everyone here is a bleeding-heart, granola-chomping, flannel-clad hippie ( and believe me, there is NO shortage of spit here.....eeeuuuwww), the notion that Seattle is held in thrall by the written word seems to die in the streets. I'll keep looking, but in the meantime here's an excerpt from Found.

1 Comments:

Blogger FancyPants said...

I'd like to. You're supposed to bring something you've found (next to impossible here-I don't really know why) and a basketball. He and his brother are going to teach how to write AND shoot hoops. From the flyer:
"Davy Rothbart, with his brother Peter, will teach you how to write, and how to balance on a basketball and rap at the same time."

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home