The Space Needle is My Neighbor

EIGHT YEARS AND COUNTING What Have We Learned So Far?
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never go back to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
IMPORTANT NOTE: Click on the captions with dots. They are live links to additional content.

Monday, May 08, 2006

The Bad News That's Brewing On My Block


A couple of weeks ago, B mentioned that he thought the cafe at the end of my block was going to be demolished. I went in search of verification and found it in a back issue of the Seattle P-I. Bummer! The B&O Espresso (for Belmont and Olive, the intersection where it resides), does indeed seem to be slated for extinction. The B&O has been around for 30 years and was one of the original Seattle coffee houses. I had my first B&O latte on the first night of an exploratory trip out here. I was so far away from my home in Chicago and when we stopped in on that cold, rain-soaked January night I didn't know that within a month Capitol Hill would become my new home. The B&O was the place where B and I first met in person one afternoon four years ago to figure out if we wanted to move beyond being merely Internet acquaintances. Its genteel, shabby pseudo-Victorian interior has served as the backdrop to a number of beginnings and endings in my life, and I really don't want to see it go. Where will the next important events in my life occur if not at the B&O? The P-I article states that in its place will rise a six story "mixed-use" building with condos, shops and underground parking, destined to serve as a knife to the heart of my quiet residential existence. Ugh. The noise, the mess, my memories and all the other displaced memories of thirty years of coffee, tiramisu and the most amazing breakfasts; all swirling around to create a stifling blanket of renovation hell which will surely suffocate the charming character of my home as it descends. Will this actually come to pass? I don't know for sure right now, but the thought of it is making me really sad. People are meeting and talking. Impact studies are afoot. Perhaps it's not too late.

7 Comments:

Blogger FancyPants said...

That tiny sliver of building visible to the left of the frame is my building. It's THAT close.

2:28 PM  
Blogger FancyPants said...

I've been doing a little more research on the place. Pearl Jam actually came up with their name at the B&O.

12:44 AM  
Blogger FancyPants said...

(Jon Stewart)"Damn you, fruit smoothie!" :^P

1:37 PM  
Blogger FancyPants said...

P.S. thanks for the condolences as my life becomes an urban nightmare....... :^P :^P

(#2- EXTREMELY 'sensitive')

1:40 PM  
Blogger elaine x said...

... there's always chaining yourself to the front door with 10-12 other dedicated people and a couple of phone calls to a couple of news stations -- i would send copies to "rolling stone" mag, the local scene newsprint, etc. ... it works ... sometimes!
good luck!
peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'

1:08 AM  
Blogger elaine x said...

p.s. usually you did not hear about it too late unless you do nothing.
p&h
e
fmbe2sis!

1:09 AM  
Blogger FancyPants said...

I agree, however the deal has been struck and the only thing we can hope for is that the developers might back out when faced with the degree of ill-will the whole thing has generated. I'm not holding out much hope for the results of the impact study. The majority of city officials are really gung-ho over these mixed-use buildings and their potential to squeeze out the druggies and the homeless.

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home