The Space Needle is My Neighbor

EIGHT YEARS AND COUNTING What Have We Learned So Far?
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never go back to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
IMPORTANT NOTE: Click on the captions with dots. They are live links to additional content.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Another Great Cartoonist



is Roz Chast who drew the "Three Certainties of Life"; Death, Taxes, Bobo. She always seems to know what's on my mind. Yikes!

"In the 80's and afterward, the cartoons tended to loosen up and grow freewheeling, branching out from ingenious visual jokes and the light comedy of upper-middle-class manners into more idiosyncratic terrain. Roz Chast's 1981 three-panel piece titled ''The Three Certainties'' begins with a faux-naif skull and crossbones, ''Death.'' A check made out to the I.R.S. and surrounded by disembodied angels' wings signifies ''Taxes.'' The final panel shows a clown in a curly wig and a ruffed collar -- ''Bobo.'' Get it? Of course you don't. Such humor can't be gotten, in the old sense, only inexplicably chuckled at. Chast and her quirky contemporary counterparts practice a sort of comic expressionism that depends for its effects on the reader's ability to recognize, identify with and mysteriously anticipate the habitual, signature movements of individual artists' minds. The most one can say of a good Chast cartoon is that it's deeply Chast-like. And that's sufficient." (Walter Kirn - NYT Book Review)

5 Comments:

Blogger FancyPants said...

I searched and searched for the "Certainties" cartoon online. Although there are numerous references to it, as in this review of the New Yorker Book of Cartoons, it doesn't seem to exist electronically. It only resides in the minds of those who saw it in print.

10:41 AM  
Blogger FancyPants said...

I'm going to keep looking for it.
I had a copy on my 'fridge years ago.

3:56 PM  
Blogger FancyPants said...

Misterklean-that makes me laugh every time I see it. "The third obscurity"...priceless!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Jim Swintal said...

I remember the cartoon vividly, I was in college at the time and I am now 51 and it still enters my mind from time to time. Thanks for bringing it up!

7:38 PM  
Blogger FancyPants said...

Thanks for stopping by, Jim- I went to your site and it's fascinating! Wanted to leave a comment, but didn't see a way to do so.....

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home