The Space Needle is My Neighbor

EIGHT YEARS AND COUNTING What Have We Learned So Far?
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never go back to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
IMPORTANT NOTE: Click on the captions with dots. They are live links to additional content.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Eyes Have It - My Weekend From Hell


Wow. It's been a beautiful sunny weekend in Seattle, but I've spent the last 36 hours in bed; when I haven't been hunched over the toilet puking like there's no tomorrow. All because of an eye exam on Friday. The culprit; Atropine, a medication that's used to dilate your pupils so that the doc can get a really good look into the "windows of your soul". Well, my soul is sick to the point of exhaustion. My eyes are however, 100% healthy. Yea for me. I couldn't help but reference the only "Eyeball Band" in the world in this post. The Residents from San Francisco.
Back in the early 90's, I actually met The Residents sans costumes when they were shopping in a clothing store I managed in Chicago. I knew they were playing in town, but hadn't gotten tickets. They came in, adults and children looking like a large extended family, and a couple of the kids were wearing Residents t-shirts. I commented to one that I knew they were in town for the weekend and how I was a big fan. He looked at me and said, "We are, too" with a funny little smile and that's when I realized it was them, pawing through the "Final Days-Store Closing" clothes, alongside suburban Chicago housewives. The Residents are just people, too. In search of a bargain like everybody else.
"The Residents are now entering its fourth decade as faceless anti-stars, existing in the dim outskirts of mainstream awareness. During that entire time, they've consciously kept their origins and personal lives shrouded in mystery. The creation of this obviously contrived "mystery" was one of the first decisions they reached after realizing that they had become a group - something they define as an organism with a mind, will and direction of its own. The essence of this decision was to aggressively create a separation between their personal and professional lives. Anonymity was, and is, their only rule. They live by it to this day." (Rikksreviews.com)

1 Comments:

Blogger FancyPants said...

If you want to check out their music, one of the strangest albums has got to be "The King and Eye", consisting of Elvis Presley covers bisected by the strange fable of "The Baby King", as told to a group of children. Long sentence-big concept! I haven't heard it in 15 years, but I can't forget it.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home